As an avid Apple Watch user since its release in 2015, Martin discusses how the device has changed both his behaviour and the way that he thinks about time. It’s a powerful, personal device that’s supposed to make things easier, yet many wish for custom faces and even more complications… but at what cost? Looking at the Apple Watch through the lens of media ecology—a field that investigates how media, technology and communication affect human environments—it’s time to ruminate on how we can make our digital devices serve us.
- For those who haven’t used an Apple Watch, this page explains what it means to customise your watch face.
- An example of the many Apple-centric articles that call for custom watch faces (and yet more complications as a consequence)
- Martin’s Apple Watch and preferred minimalist ‘Simple’ watch face
- Martin’s mechanical Mondaine watch
- More information about media ecology